Star Trek™: The Borg - 2017 Canada 1 oz Pure Silver Coloured Coin - Royal Canadian Mint
From 1987 to 1994, Star Trek™: The Next Generation built upon the spirit of The Original Series by updating the themesto reflect its time. Even today, Canadian Star Trek™ fans remain as dedicated as ever to it, with a stellar cast of characters and gripping episodes such as "The Best of Both Worlds," which included one of the most memorable antagonists of all time: the Borg.
The formidable Borg pose one of the greatest threats to the Federation. They are uncompromising in their desire for "perfection," which drives their single-minded pursuit to assimilate new worlds, technologies and people—including, briefly, Captain Jean-Luc Picard himself!
A must-have collectible for any Star Trek™ fan! Order today!
- FIRST-TIME APPEARANCE OF THE BORG ON A COIN! Eye-catching combination of a colourful image set against a close-up of the Borg cube's exterior—all engraved in incredible detail!
- A CONTINUING CELEBRATION! The Royal Canadian Mint adds to its "fleet" of Star Trek™ coins with this celebration of the 30th anniversary of Star Trek™: The Next Generation—a pop culture classic that is still beloved by Canadian fans!
- WORDS ENGRAVED IN A STAR TREK™ FONT! Your coin includes the words "STAR TREKTM/MC", "CANADA" and the year "2017", all engraved in a Star Trek™ font.
- FEEL THE TENSION! Vibrant colour captures the intensity of the confrontation, including the iconic green glow of the Borg's tractor beam. You can almost hear the siren of a Red Alert!
- PRECISION-ENGRAVING! Behind the image, the design provides a rare close-up of the detailed exterior of a Borg cube!
- ENGAGE! Your coin has a limited mintage of 10,000 and is a must-have for collectors and fans—order today!
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
- CRAFTED FROM 1 OZ. PURE SILVER! Your coin has no GST/HST!
Your coin combines colour and engraving for a truly unique tribute to the 30th anniversary of Star Trek™: The Next Generation. The field includes an outstanding amount of detailed engraving that provides a rare close-up for Star Trek™ fans: it's the exterior of a Borg cube vessel, whose ominous appearance strikes fear in the hearts of characters and viewers alike. Against this engraved background, a colourful depiction of a tension-filled scene finds a Borg cube locking onto the U.S.S. Enterprise with its green tractor beam, as part of their relentless pursuit to assimilate technology, worlds and even beings. Your coin also includes the words "STAR TREKTM/MC", "CANADA" and the year "2017", all engraved in a Star Trek™ font.
We are the Borg. You will be assimilated.
The Borg made their debut in the 1989 episode "Q Who?", in which Q tests Picard by "arranging" a first contact in the uncharted Delta Quadrant. The U.S.S. Enterprise crew is quick to learn that these cybernetic beings are unlike anything they've ever encountered: the Borg adapt almost instantly to any weaponry; their ominous cube ship repairs itself; and they are intent on absorbing new technology for the betterment of the Collective (and, they believe, the betterment of the assimilated beings).
This hive-mind collective represents the threat of conformity and underscores the importance of diversity and individuality, which is an underlying theme throughout the Star Trek™ mythos. And while a single cube vessel often spells instant doom, Picard survives his assimilation as Locutus of Borg—but with long-term consequences for his character and the Star Trek™ franchise.
Did you know…
- In the seventh-season episode "Lower Decks," Ensign Sam Lavelle tries to ingratiate himself with Commander Riker but mistakenly believes Riker is Canadian (Riker states he's from Alaska).
- The series introduced a number of memorable characters and species, including the Borg, the Ferengi, and the Cardassians.
- The Borg made six appearances in Star Trek™: The Next Generation, including their debut in the second-season episode "Q Who?"
- Once the Borg have assimilated Picard, he is designated as Locutus. It is a fitting name given his intended role as an intermediary, since "Locutus" comes from a Latin word for "spoken."
- Although we know them as a collection of thousands of different species, the Borg's origins are never fully explained. In "Q Who?," Guinan mentions that they are comprised of "organic and artificial life" and have been steadily evolving for "thousands of centuries."
- Many fans contend the Borg's most memorable appearance is in the award-winning third-season finale, "The Best of Both Worlds." One of the series' most popular episodes, the cliff-hanger ending includes the shocking image of Picard as an assimilated Borg drone.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a premium graphic box.
Order your coin today!
TM & © 2017 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.
✔️ Top Quality Bullion
✔️ Price Match Guaranteed
✔️ Free Shipping Over $250
✔️ Safe, Secure & Insured
Best Prices Guaranteed
We'll happily beat our competition!
On orders over $250
Over 15 Years Industry Experience
Our experts are here to help you Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM.