Star Trek™ Crew: Scotty - 2016 Canada 1/2 oz Pure Silver Coloured Coin - Royal Canadian Mint
"I've given her all she's got, Captain, and I canna' give her no more!"
– Montgomery "Scotty" Scott
A precursor to the smartphones of today, the fictional communicator featured on Star Trek was remarkable: characters would flip up the grill cover to communicate from a planet's surface to ships orbiting above, all without the limitations of satellite technology and without any delay in transmission time. As an emergency-signalling device, it was often used to contact Chief Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott (portrayed by Canadian actor James Doohan) and request to be beamed back on board the Enterprise.
While his off-the-cuff expressions can provide comedic relief (The Trouble With Tribbles), Scott takes enormous pride in maintaining the transporter systems and engineering section of the Enterprise, which he regards as almost his own. The Scottish-born engineer's ingenuity, resourcefulness and abilities have earned him a reputation as the ship's miracle worker: he is often capable of doing more with a few spare parts than one would think in an era of automation and warp drives. In fact, it is said that Scott knows more about a starship's warp engines than those who designed them (Is There In Truth No Beauty?)!
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of Star Trek—a television series that is beloved by generations of Canadians, and whose vision of the future helped inspire innovation in our time! Order today before they're all gone!
- SECOND of four coins featuring some of the most beloved Star Trek characters, paired with unforgettable Trek technology that has inspired real-life innovation.
- 99.99% PURE SILVER! Contrasting finishes enhance the intricate engraving, while vibrant selective colour captures the likeness of Chief Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott in 99.99% pure silver.
STUNNING CUSTOM BOX! Your coin is encapsulated and enclosed in a stunning custom box! Durable yet lightweight, the colourful packaging boasts a contemporary design and features an illustrated portrait of Chief Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott alongside the Star Trek
50th anniversary logo.
- A one-of-a-kind addition to any collection and an unforgettable gift that will be treasured and valued by the Star Trek fan in your life!
- An official licensed product approved by CBS Studios.
- NO GST/HST!
Your coin features selective colour and detailed engraving in the side-by-side depiction of a beloved Star Trek character, and the innovative Trek technology that is associated with him. On the left side is the coloured portrait of Chief Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott (portrayed by Canadian actor James Doohan); wearing the red uniform of the operations division, Scotty holds the hand-held device through which the famous command "Beam me up" was relayed: the communicator. A larger, engraved depiction of the communicator is featured to the right, allowing the viewer to examine its iconic flip top cover, its controls and speaker, and even its inner wiring and components. The two images casually overlap the engraved outline of Starfleet's Delta Shield Insignia in the background.
- James Doohan was born on March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Doohan was a veteran of the Second World War. As a lieutenant in the 13th Field Artillery Regiment of the 3rd Canadian Division, he took part in the landing on Juno Beach on June 6, 1944 (D-Day) but subsequently lost his middle finger on the right hand, which he sought to conceal throughout his acting career.
- Doohan would later conceptualize the basic sounds of the Vulcan and Klingon languages.
- The character's name comes from James Doohan's middle name, Montgomery, and Scott due to the character's Scottish origins.
- In the episode The Apple, Kirk light-heartedly fired Scott after he couldn't fix the Enterprise's engines then re-hired him.
- As Second Officer, Scott is in command of the ship whenever Kirk and Spock are away or unable to carry out their duties
- The catchphrase "Beam me up, Scotty" has become part of pop culture... although this isn't exactly what was said: Kirk's command in two of the series' episodes was "Scotty, beam us up" or simply "Beam me up" in another.
Durable yet lightweight, the colourful packaging boasts a contemporary design and features an illustrated portrait of Chief Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott alongside the Star Trek
50th anniversary logo.
TM & © 2016 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.
✔️ Top Quality Bullion
✔️ Price Match Guaranteed
✔️ Free Shipping Over $250
✔️ Safe, Secure & Insured
Best Prices Guaranteed
We'll happily beat our competition!
On orders over $250
Over 15 Years Industry Experience
Our experts are here to help you Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM.