Remembrance Day - 2020 Canada Pure Silver Coin - Royal Canadian Mint
Our 2020 Remembrance Day tribute is shaped like a real poppy and resembles the inspiration for the wartime poem In Flanders Fields. This coin is the most lifelike flower we've ever crafted from 99.99% pure silver. Its reverse is carefully sculpted to capture many of the poppy's botanical details, from the outward-curving petals to the innermost whorl, while an antique finish highlights every crinkle, curl and fold. It is this flower that represents a nation's gratitude to those who fought, those who were lost, those who continue to serve, and all the loved ones who have supported them through the years.
The flower that inspired a wartime poem. Order today.
- SHAPED LIKE A REAL POPPY: In 2019, we introduced the world's first poppy-shaped coin. For 2020, we're adding new dimension to our annual tradition of remembrance with an inward-rounding coin that forms the shape of a real poppy.
- LOOKS LIKE A REAL POPPY: The petals that give this coin its shape have been carefully sculpted to give them the same outward-curving edges and crepe paper-like texture as an actual poppy flower.
- ANTIQUE FINISH: The coin's antique finish emphasizes every sculpted fold and curl to give the petals a more lifelike appearance.
- ART IMITATING LIFE: Your coin is the most realistic, natural-looking flower we've ever crafted from 99.99% pure silver.
- BOTANICAL DETAILS: To truly capture the poppy's essence, the engraved elements on the reverse include the stigma disk that forms a radiating pattern deep inside the flower.
- A REMEMBRANCE DAY TRADITION: By reproducing the flower inspiration for the poem In Flanders Fields, we're honouring all who have served and those who continue to serve our country in the name of freedom and, most of all, peace. Their sacrifices will not be forgotten by generations of Canadians, as represented by this poppy coin.
Designed by Canadian artist/engraver Alex Tirabasso, the inward-rounding reverse features four overlapping flower petals that give this coin a realistic poppy shape. Each petal is carefully sculpted to closely resemble its real-life counterpart, from the outward curving edges to its softly crinkled texture, which is enhanced with an antique finish. The petals surround the centre stigma disk that forms a radiating pattern inside the poppy. The obverse's coin-shaped base features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt with an engraved legend that includes the words "CANADA", "2020" and "20 DOLLARS".
"This may be the most realistic flower we've ever struck as a coin. It has never been done before, so modeling and engraving this coin was both technically and artistically rewarding. I was enthusiastic to dive into this project because of its nature, but also because it would commemorate our lost soldiers. Modeling a realistic poppy with the inner pod, petal details and form was interesting because it involved a full 3D model from front to back. We've done concave and convex coins in the past, so we borrowed this knowledge to help produce the concavity of this coin and make sure it strikes. The antiqued finish was a beautiful way to give it character." Alex Tirabasso, 3D Artist – Engraver, Royal Canadian Mint: Artist and Engraver
- The poppy has been Canada's Flower of Remembrance since 1921.
- During the First World War, bombardments disrupted the soil in Flanders and created favourable conditions for Papaver rhoeas to appear on the battlefields, as described in the poem In Flanders Fields by John McCrae of Guelph, Ont. The poem was written in 1915 and later inspired the international campaign to make the poppy a symbol of remembrance.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
✔️ Top Quality Bullion
✔️ Price Match Guaranteed
✔️ Free Shipping Over $250
✔️ Safe, Secure & Insured
Best Prices Guaranteed
We'll happily beat our competition!
On orders over $250
Over 15 Years Industry Experience
Our experts are here to help you Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM.