Borealia - A Modern Allegory - 2018 Canada 1 oz Pure Silver Gold Plated Coin - Royal Canadian Mint
She is bold, youthful, powerful, yet peaceful—she is Borealia, who radiates strength and confidence! The symbolic figurehead is a modern take on a classic allegory, one that represents the collective spirit of Canadians in today’s world: hopeful and steady in our resolve, as we rise to meet the challenges that lie ahead. A modern take on a classic allegory, Borealia seamlessly combines symbolic elements to bridge Canada’s past, present and future. The feather, poppies and fur cape allude to the weight of history. And as she continues a journey that started long before Confederation, Borealia remains the confident image of the people she represents, whose ideals, successes and innovative spirit continuously shape and re-define our future.
An ideal coin for someone who enjoys a Canadian modern allegory! Order today!
- A NATION PERSONIFIED! A bold, modern take on a traditional allegory that bridges Canada’s past and present while looking towards the future.
- MISS CANADA HAS COME OF AGE! Echoing the figurehead from our 2017 proof dollar, Borealia is a visual representation of Canadian ideals and values, and reflects how a nation perceives itself today.
- FULLY GOLD PLATED! Borealia basks in the rich gleam of gold plating, which covers your 99.99% pure silver coin’s entire surface and gives it the appearance of a gold coin!
- ART THAT TELLS A STORY! Every engraved element imbues this design with symbolic meaning! The amount of engraved details is stunning—especially in a proof finish that brilliantly highlights the crisp impression.
- A SOON-TO-BE CLASSIC! The similarly themed 2017 Proof Dollar proved to be a hit with collectors and sold out quickly! Given its traditional look and high visual appeal, your coin is likely to strike a chord with collectors, too—especially those seeking a powerful, inspiring design that reflects a nation’s hope in 2018 for a bright, global future.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- 1 OZ. PURE SILVER! Your coin is crafted from 99.99% pure silver and includes gold plating.
- LOW WORLDWIDE MINTAGE! Only 5,000 coins will be made available worldwide.
- NO GST/HST!
Building on the classic concept of a female national personification, artist Rebecca Yanovskaya offers a modern allegory for a modern Canada. Framed by waves and maple leaves that unite land and sea, Borealia is the image of strength and confidence as she stands against the majestic backdrop of Canada’s tallest peak, Mount Logan, which represents our soaring spirit of innovation. Like the British figurehead Britannia, Borealia is clad in traditional robes, but with unique armour that hints at Canada’s journey since the colonial era. Every engraved element in this intricate design carries deeper symbolic meaning, including those that allude to the weight of history: the fur cape that represents Canada’s pre-Confederation past; the feather that pays tribute to Indigenous Peoples; and the poppies of remembrance woven into her hair. In one hand, Borealia holds the shield of the Arms of Canada; in the other, a dove of peace—a nod to Canada’s historic role as peacekeepers, but also to Canadians’ desire for peace. Facing forward towards the future, Borealia is strong, optimistic and steadfast, like the people she represents, whose ideals and spirit continue to shape and re-define the nation’s global future. With one foot reverentially set in the past, her name is an ode to one of the proposed names of our country leading up to Confederation: Borealia. Your coin includes the engraved year “2018”, the word “CANADA” and the face value “20 DOLLARS” engraved on a scroll banner. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- “Borealia” was among the many names proposed leading up to Canadian Confederation.
- Proof that we have reason to be optimistic: In 2017, Canada topped the list of countries with the best quality of life. Beyond economic and political factors, the study assessed such factors as stability, public education and health systems, individual freedoms and the quality of the environment to determine where citizens were most likely to live happy and healthy lives.
- But are we happy? According to one report, we are: Canada is regularly named one of the Top 10 happiest countries in the world. The assessment is based on a number of social and economic factors such as income, social support and healthy life expectancy.
- Not sure if you believe us? Well, Canada was also ranked the world’s most reputable country in 2017!
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
✔️ Top Quality Bullion
✔️ Price Match Guaranteed
✔️ Free Shipping Over $250
✔️ Safe, Secure & Insured
Best Prices Guaranteed
We'll happily beat our competition!
On orders over $250
Over 15 Years Industry Experience
Our experts are here to help you Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM.